Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Duck in Plum Sauce... from normal ingredients

Ok so my very first recipe post was a FAIL.

Don't get me wrong - it was delicious, but my efforts of trying to find duck breast after 7pm, on a Wednesday, in the outer-northern suburbs of Melbourne were fruitless.

Actually there was plenty of fruit. They were duckless.

I had the tiniest hope that Woolworths* would sell duck breast but I really wasn't surprised that they didn't.

My recipe required that I had 4 duck breasts with skin on - I read this as two large chicken breasts and completely forgot about the skin-on part.

It also wanted Sherry which I changed to Port because I just really couldn't be bothered hanging around the supermarket at that hour and we had Port at home.

Cinnamon sticks changed to cinnamon powder - no big deal there.

Aniseed got kicked out completely as I didn't want to use one teaspoon of it and then have the rest in my cupboard for years before I decided to use it again.


The recipe is below but feel free to substitute with whatever is close-enough at home as sticking to a set recipe can be totally overrated.

Better to make it yours =)

Here is my *blurry* pic of it.
Ok so it doesn't look really fancy and kind of resembles roadkill but it was yummy! Truly!!
I added some veggies to make it a bit more substantial and healthy.



*How totally cute and fresh does it look with that gorgeous pumpkin in the background! LOVE!


Duck in Plum Sauce

Prep time: under 10 mins
Cooking time: approx. half an hour
Cost: under $30
Feeds: 4

Ingredients

4 duck breasts with skin on
1 tsp sea salt
2 tsp whole peppercorns
2 tbsp oil (for frying)

Sauce

1 cup red wine
3 tbsp sherry
1 cinnamon stick
1 orange - juiced
3 cloves
3 tbsp redcurrant jelly
1 tsp star aniseed
825g can of plums *cough* yes I said can


Method

Heat oven to 150 degrees.

Make some slits across the skin on the duck breasts, about 4 on each will do - this makes them juicier and allows the seasoning to get right in.
Grind down the salt and pepper in a mortar and pestle, then rub it over the skin side of the duck.
Place in a fry pan with medium-heated oil, skin side down and fry for approx. 8 minutes - making sure the meat doesn't go a golden colour too quickly.

While you are waiting on the duck, pour the wine and sherry into a medium sized saucepan and bring to the boil. Add cinnamon and turn down to low to simmer for 5 mins, then bring to the boil while you add the orange juice and herbs. Once added, turn down to simmer for 10 mins.

Back to the duck!
Place duck in an oven-safe dish (not overlapping) and pour the oils/juices from the pan you used first over the top. Place in oven for 10 minutes.

Mash up (or blend if you are so inclined) the plums and drain 95% of the juice** and add to the sauce along with the redcurrant jelly. Stir over simmering heat until all jelly is dissolved.

Remember to taste! If you think anything needs topping up - add more!

Pour the sauce over the duck and serve.***


Bon appétit! =)



* I can hear you scoffing
** I didn't drain my plums and my sauce turned out a bit too watery.
*** I chopped up the duck (um.. chicken) and then served mine over rice with green veggies.

No comments:

Post a Comment